Thursday, January 26, 2006

Joel Stein and me -- no yellow magnets for our cars

Joel's article for the LA Times has created some waves...

My aunt sent me the article and this is my response to her.

Thanks for including me on the "short list" for the Joel Stein article. I agree with his sentiment wholeheartedly. Especially the part about bringing them home and taking care of them. It's not something that you usually see in any mainstream media source. Not being familiar with his writing, I don't know his usual tone, but I figure that he wrote it in the tone he did to be purposely incendiary. Get people talking, make a wave...it seems to have worked. I read several progressive news websites and they all mentioned it. The biggest trouble with that approach is that you won't bring anyone to the middle to agree on anything...your supporters will say, fuck yeah! and your detractors will say, fuck you! and the conversation is over.

I have long said that I don't "Support the Troops". Not only because I do not believe in military answers to our troubles but also in that they chose a job that in my perfect world, no one would sign up for. I have a thought that with a draft, we would have a much more equal pool of Americans (not so many poor minorities) signed up, and thus reduce support for any conflict unless absolutely necessary...

No comments: